Blog

Holiday Hazards for Birds

The holidays are officially here! At this time of year, you’ll see lots of adorable seasonal photos of cats and dogs. You might also notice a lot of articles about keeping them safe. What about birds? This can be a dangerous holiday for our feathered friends! A Dallas, GA veterinarian lists some potential hazards for Polly below.

Trees

Birds can injure themselves on sharp needles or ornaments. They can also get entangled in lights, ribbons, or tinsel. Plus, many trees have been treated with chemicals, such as pesticides and fire retardants. Since many birds like shiny things, fragile ornaments are also a danger. Play it safe, and keep Polly out of the room the tree is in.

Fumes

Polly has very sensitive lungs. Candles, incense, air fresheners, perfumes, and other scents that are pleasant to us can make your tiny pet very sick! A good air purifier is definitely a worthy investment for people with birds. 

Kitchens

The kitchen can be a dangerous area for Polly! When you’re cooking all of those delicious holiday dishes, you may have multiple burners on, as well as perhaps a crockpot or two. Sharp utensils, cooking fumes, and full pots or sinks are also hazardous to your winged buddy. 

Plants

Many popular holiday plants are toxic to our feathered buddies. Poinsettias, ivy, holly, and mistletoe are the most common ones. If you do get these plants, keep them in rooms Polly doesn’t have access to.

Food

There’s nothing wrong with giving Polly a treat, but be careful. Many of our favorite foods are toxic to birds. Some unsafe foods include rhubarb, chocolate, caffeine, sweets, avocados, and anything that contains xylitol and/or a lot of salt, sugar, or fat.

Visiting Pets

Many people like to bring their dogs when visiting friends or family. If you have a four-legged visitor, keep your cute pet in her cage.

Decorations

Anything that runs on power should be considered unsafe. Fake snow is also a hazard, as is anything small or sharp.

Candles 

Candles, potpourri burners, and fireplaces are dangerous for a few reasons. For one thing, they emit strong scents, which is hazardous in and of itself. Polly could also be seriously hurt by the flames. Flameless candles are a much safer option.

Happy Holidays from all of us at The Ark Animal Hospital, your Dallas, GA veterinary clinic. Please contact us anytime!

Comments are closed.

//